Instagram

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

CH53: We were young

I just saw the 8th episode of glee from the 3rd season. To comment on the episode and the series - well, I think that there're a lot of good things ahead to see in glee after this episode. The performance for sectionals sans Rachel Berry was great. Every member had equal exposure to highlight their talents. I especially liked the spin they did on the Michael Jackson hit Man in the Mirror.

But, the video I posted above has got to be the one that struck me most. The message highlighted in Quin's story arc about enjoying the now - the youth - is what I would guess the performance was trying to put a closure to. It brought a closure to Quin's road to self-destruction by obsessing about the future by worrying about it now. Given that Quin was pretty much obsessed with trying to get her baby back just so she could find a purpose to her life after highschool.

The video above, I've been playing for about 20 times now :). It sounds upbeat and happy, but the message is quite sad the moment I heard it. If you're interested in the lyrics, here's the link. I had to read through the lyrics to fully understand why the song struck me so strongly.

Simply put, it talks about realizing your youth and enjoying it to the fullest before the night ends. It talks about getting wasted and high in alcohol or however you wish to interpret the lyrics and to spend the night without any worry after - as you have friends you can rely on to bring you safely home.

I guess, one aspect of the song that made me sad is the fact that I no longer consider myself young. I could relate to Quin about wishing to grow-up faster. But, I can't say that I regret anything with the choices I've made. I wouldn't be where I am now had I not studied well or chose my career over regular weekend parties and living through my pre-25 yo without any regard to being responsible. I was raised differently. I had expectations to live up to 0-25 yo.

So, it's not about regretting the choices and actions I did in the past exactly. The song, I should say, has brought the deadly and depressing "What if?" It's the question you will never find an answer to. It just raises more questions. 

Well, as depressed as I am feeling now while listening to the song, I just realized, that perhaps instead of shifting the attention solely on whatever I did during my youth, then I should think of the now as the song sings through. You don't have to be young in order to enjoy life and live it to the fullest. Instead of looking back, look at the now and live it. Live it to the fullest. Live it free.

Tonight
We are young
So let's set the world on fire
We can burn brighter 
than the sun

PS: I just read through the lyrics again while listening to the original, and the message is very different from what glee struck me with. It has a break-up tune to the message. Anyway, here's the original video from FUN. It's got to be one of the most poetic (IMO) songs I've heard in a long while.


No comments:

Post a Comment