Instagram

Monday, April 2, 2012

[Review] MDNA: Album Verdict

For contextual reference, I would put Madonna's latest album a notch below Katy Perry's last album Teenage Dream but a little bit above or almost at par with Lady Gaga's Born This Way album.

Above Lady Gaga's album partially because Lady G's album was not pop pop per se, but she transitioned to a darker theme with heavier rock and electronic incorporation. I got tired of the album in less than 2 months. Her first album and second pseudo album - 8 singles (Monster) lasted more than 2 months. And my forecast for Madonna's new album is lengthier.

My favorites from her album are Girl Gone Wild, Gang Bang, Beautiful Killer and Give Me All Your Luvin'.
They are my favorites because I liked how they sounded right off the bat. The other songs are good, but it's either a bit preppy for me or too pop like Katy's song California Girls - which for a lack of better word - can get "nakakaumay" quickly.

I read some reviews by critics on Madonna's album, and they were right to say that it's not a revolutionary album that could steer pop music into a different direction. In fact, when I listened to it, I can't help but compare it to a blend between Gaga's first album and Katy's last one. I can't compare to Britney Spears though because the last album I liked from her was Circus. I haven't been following her after that.

In my opinion, Madonna is just cashing in right now. Replenishing her coffers - thus the need to release the album. Or perhaps maybe she just genuinely wants to work? But, as I agreed with the critics opinion, she doesn't make a huge impact or mark for me in pop music culture.. The target market is the long time followers - and perhaps the club goers.

In my opinion, the current power figures in pop music culture are Lady Gaga, Rihanna and Katy Perry. They have a distinct formula for me. Although, it is widely believed that all solo female performers that came after Madonna are following her path, Madonna in her current incarnation is lagging. She could have made more tracks like Gang Bang and Girl Gone Wild (obvious favorites?) to make the album stronger. But sadly, IMO, the other songs although okay - feels too formulaic. But, overall, the album is good enough to "unhook" me from listening to a 60+ Avicii playlist.

Final word: I just realized that if she released her album with remixes of some of the songs that were just blah okay, then it would have been better.


No comments:

Post a Comment