Instagram

Saturday, June 16, 2012

[Review] Fifty Shades of Semi-rotic

I started again with my hobby of reading books. I eased myself back into the hobby with Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, which I thought was meant to be horror fiction. Well, it turns out to be true although not the Stephen King horror I sized it up to be.

Well, truth be told, I was only looking for the 50 shades trilogy. I only ended up buying Miss Peregrine to alleviate the growing need to read a book. An appropriate analogy given the post's title is finding the carnality to masturbate and release given a building 'tension'.


I never before fancied about getting into romantic lits. I always found my delight in the mystery, horror, adventure and fantasy fiction. Most of my books revolved around those genre. Last year though, before the rising popularity of Game of Thrones in HBO, I thought it was a good time to explore epic medieval fantasy. And I found it satiating reading through all the 5 books.

With a must buy recommendation from Spot.ph -with a description that it's romance but with a mix of BDSM- I thought I should try to explore the genre by starting it off with 50 Shades of Grey. I didn't know it was a trilogy then. But my desire to actually acquire the trilogy was fueled when I discovered that it was out of stock in all Fully Booked branches and the National bookstores in my area.

To say for certain, I highly recommend the book. Reading through some articles in the net, I was at first guarded that the author was inspired(?) by the Twilight series and she sort of wrote the trilogy as fan fiction. Luckily, the book does not dwell much on the fantasy aspect to highlight any romance. If there were any vampires glistening like diamonds in the sun, well, frankly, I wouldn't have bought it.

The book is highly engrossing. I've been flipping through the pages since I got the books. Well, of course I had to stop during times I had work, but to say for certain, like the other books in my collection, it's pages and pages and pages in some seating.

Right now, I'm about a quarter through second book and loving the experience. I wouldn't have known I had the capacity to appreciate such romantic lit. Flashes of household helps reading Filipino literature with suggestive imagery on the covers was how I imagined the fan base of romantic lits to be. But well, apparently, they're not all that tacky - and 50 Shades is a proof of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment