Instagram

Friday, May 4, 2012

[Review] Rihanna: Talk that Talk


Super hot video from Rihanna. I can't believe I used to listen to the album and just put it aside because I started listening to LMFAO, Avicii, etc.

Listening to the album, it's still distinctly Rihanna. Comparing generations, I think, she could be like Shakira from the last generation - except with more star and staying power.

What I like about Rihanna is she doesn't seem to care if she's the "bad girl." Contrary to the last generation of female artist like Britney, Christina, etc, who either put up a face as the "good girl" but then transitioned to being the bad girl persona which put a spike in their popularity but then eventually faded out. Rihanna...hmmm I should be discussing the album not the artist. For more information on why Rihanna rocks: CLICK HERE.


Now for the album.



The above audio track is currently one of my favorite tracks. It has a "confidence-building" sound which I will be needing for an up-coming performance as...oh sorry, I can't discuss it here yet. Maybe I'll write up an entry on it after the event (with pictures).

The whole album is very easy to listen to. The beats and the jives are quite good. It's distinctly Rihanna in the sense that it's very like previous albums. There's a mix of the ballads and up-beat sounds. Although, for this album, you can notice a bit more of incorporation of house or electronic music. Her last album (Loud) with S&M and Cheers (Drink to that) had more of a rocky edge to the up-beat songs.

I just checked her discoraphy and it's quite interesting to note that she's been releasing an album every year for the last 3 years. That speaks a lot about how hard she must work. Which is why I'm a fan - because the only way for that to happen is if the artist works hard and enjoys the work. I don't know about the schedule or whatnot - but I imagine she will have to balance touring, shows with recording.

Anyway, I would say that to compare it with Madonna's album, Rihanna's album is better than Madonna's if you consider the body of work. Or maybe because the "youth" in Madonna's album is not really there there like it's there. Or - it feels like the youth and freshness in the album feels manufactured. This album, like the last one from Rihanna, I like better also over Lady Gaga's Born this way album.

No comments:

Post a Comment